These days, location tracking apps can be either the villain or the hero depending on whose story you are listening to. They are tracking your every step to use your information for all sorts of nefarious deeds, and they are eating your mobile data. But they are also helping you track where you have been and which route is quicker to your next destination.
So it largely depends on who you are talking to as to what opinion you will get. In this blog, we want to run through location tracking apps that help you keep your children safe. There are a few ways to ensure your children’s safety by utilising our smart devices to keep track of our children, making sure they’re safe and secure – from any location in the world.
How does location tracking work
Let’s first take a look at the technology used by location tracking apps. Location tracking works by using a global network of GPS satellites and internet technologies. The network of satellites accurately pinpoints the location of any device with integrated GPS, internet and Wi-Fi technology. This, for example, includes a smartphone, computer, tablet, laptop and smartwatches.
Using location tracking technology has never been easier. You can now harness the power of real-time location tracking by just using your mobile.
5 Location tracking apps on Android
1. Find My kids
Many people combine the app with a GPS smartwatch which can be worn by your kids to give you their real-time location, make calls, send messages, and so much more. However, the app can also be installed on your child’s smartphone while providing the same functions.
The main features of the Find My Kids GPS app are:
- Accurate location tracking to within 12 metres.
- Get notified when your child steps into an unauthorised area.
- The ability to combine with GPS smartwatch devices.
- Monitor your child’s activity on their smartphone.
- Record the sound of your child’s surroundings (Android only).
To learn more about the benefits of the Find My Kids app, you can click here.
Hoverwatch is a great app, designed specifically for Android users.
The app offers a Geolocation feature that enables you to track the location of a specific Android device – your child’s Android smartphone, for example.
The Geolocation feature can accurately pinpoint the location of your chosen device by using a combination of Wi-Fi signals, cell towers and GPS satellites.
Aside from the location-tracking features, the app also boasts impressive features for Android users, including:
- Track activity on Facebook, Viber and WhatsApp.
- Take screenshots to show how and when the device is being used.
- Views SMS messages and trace calls.
- Scan a device’s internet history.
Hoverwatch also gives you the ability to track 5 devices simultaneously, including laptops, smartphones, tablets, and other digital devices.
Visit Hoverwatch to find out more.
Life360 is another real-time location tracking app that aims at helping families stay connected.
The app provides many features such as location sharing, messaging and breakdown assistance.
The free version of the app provides a handful of great features, including:
- Location ETA – providing you with a time estimate of when someone will reach a specific location.
- Place Alerts – be notified when a family member arrives or leaves a frequently visited place.
- Help Alert – notify your family when you need help.
- Location Sharing – click to share your location.
Life360 also offers paid versions of their app which provide additional advanced features, including the ability to detect car breakdowns and accidents (US users only).
The Driver Protect version of the app enables you to track how your family members’ drive – their speed, distance, phone use while driving, and more.
For more info, you can visit Life360’s website.
Glympse is an app enabling you to share your real-time location with family members and loved ones.
The app has an easy-to-use interface that enables you to view a person’s location on the map.
It provides information such as the distance between you and someone else, and will also provide you with a time estimate of how long it will take you to reach a person.
The best part about the Glympse app is that your loved ones don’t need to download the app for you to find out their location. Glympse makes things simple by letting you send «Where are you?» requests to another device via SMS – which can be responded to by clicking on a link.
The main features of Glympse include:
- Temporary location sharing.
- Request location of others without them needing the app.
- Real-time location tracking from anywhere in the world.
To find out more, visit Glympse’s website.
The FamiSafe app is another location-tracking app, with a wide range of additional features that make it perfect for families.
Aside from the real-time location tracking feature, FamiSafe also offers users the ability to set up «Geofencing». Geofencing will alert you when your child or loved one moves outside of specific boundaries set on the map.
The app also has many additional features, including:
- Suspicious SMS messages and cyberbullying prevention – receive alerts when your child might be the victim of unwanted messages and bullying.
- Activity monitoring – view activity on a specific device, including apps used and time spent on the device.
- Website filtering – block websites that may contain malicious content.
- Screen time limits – set time constraints to ensure your child isn’t overusing their device.
The app is simple to install and set up. You have to download the app onto both your device and your child’s device. You then register for a membership account and begin using the app!
Find more on the FamiSafe website.
5 Location tracking apps on iOS
1. Find My app
Originally called the «Find My Friends» app, Find My is the new name for the native iOS application.
The Find My app combines both the Find My Friends app and the Find My iPhone app. The changes come as part of the Apple update to iOS 13.
The location-tracking app comes as standard with most iOS devices. The app enables you to track your friends and family’s location, as well as the ability to share your location.
You’ll also be able to use the app to trace your device if it is lost or stolen (along with now also having the ability to find lost AirPods). The main features of the Find My app include:
- Find your friends and share your location through the app and iMessage.
- Locate lost devices, including iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches and AirPods.
- Put devices into «Lost Mode» to instantly lock your device, initiate tracking of that device, and display a message. The message will say the device is lost and will also provide a contact number for anyone who finds it.
- Erase your device remotely if you’re concerned about someone accessing your personal information.
The Find My app is perfect for people who have multiple iOS devices that they want to secure. The app is also great for families who use many different iOS devices – enabling you to track the activity of all our family members.
Get more info on the Find My website.
2. Google Maps
Google Maps is likely the most well-known GPS tracking app on the list.
Google Maps is most commonly used to find directions, whether you’re driving, cycling, walking, or catching the train. The app will accurately guide you to almost anywhere in the world.
The app also gives you the ability to share your current location with your friends and family. Click on the menu icon and tap Location settings. From here, you’ll be able to sign in to your Google account and begin sharing your real-time location.
The main features are:
- Find direction to any location.
- Live travel updates which show delays and accidents – suggesting new routes if necessary.
- Ability to share your real-time location with friends and family.
Spyzie is another fantastic app that has a host more features than just location tracking.
Track your child’s real-time location and travel history and monitor your child’s safety while they’re using their smartphone.
The main features of the app include:
- WhatsApp, Instagram, Messenger and Snapchat monitoring.
- Keylogging – track all the keyboard strokes that your child makes on their device.
- Take screenshots of your child’s device while they’re using it.
- Sensitive information alerts – receive alerts when your child might be carrying out suspicious activities on their phone.
- SMS message and call log tracking.
Spyzie is another multi-function app that ensures your child’s safety both in the real world and while they’re using a digital device.
Find out more at Spyzie website.
FollowMee is another GPS location tracking app that enables you to track the location of any iOS device that has the app installed.
You can track the location of your specific device by going to the FollowMee website and logging into your user account.
A unique feature of the FollowMee app is the ability to store location data when the internet or Wi-Fi connection is interrupted. Once the device reconnects to the internet, the location data will be uploaded to the FollowMee server.
The app also comes equipped with an SOS Panic Button, which sends an email with your location to a specific address and also makes a call to a designated phone number.
The main features of the FollowMee app are:
- Real-time location tracking – directly through the FollowMee website.
- Local data storage when the internet connection is interrupted – uploads on reconnection.
- SOS Panic Button which shares your current location to a specific email address and telephone number.
Find more information at the FollowMee website.
5. Sycig’s family locator
This Family Locator and GPS tracking app has been specifically designed with families in mind.
The app enables you to carry out the usual functions of a GPS tracking app, such as real-time location tracking. You will also be able to set up Geofencing – receiving alerts when a member of your family steps outside of a specified safe zone area on the map.
The family locator app will help you connect all the members of your family in one place. It will enable you to see their precise location, and will also help you to navigate your way to them.
The app also has an integrated messaging function that will enable you and all members of your family to communicate with each other.
The main features of the app include:
- Real-time location tracking of all your family.
- Geofencing – set up specific safe areas and get alerted when someone steps outside of the geofence.
- Augmented reality tracking – find your family members in a specific location using the augmented reality tracking feature.
The family locator app is perfect for parents who are looking to keep track of their kids and other loved ones – all in one place.
For further information visit the Family Locator website.
Using these real-time location tracking apps will allow you to keep track of your loved ones. Many of the apps listed above will also help you ensure your child is remaining safe online as well as in the real world.
If you are looking for a stable, quick and simple ISP, or looking to upgrade your Wi-Fi or check your fibre area coverage for installation, get in touch with us at https://bundunetworx.co.za.